Author Topic: People 250 overheating need help  (Read 2326 times)

tenelen

• View Profile
People 250 overheating need help
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:26:40 PM »
I have a people 250 with about 10,000km on it. When I am stopped after the scooter has been running awhile my temps start to skyrocket, but once I get going again they come back down. I checked the fuses for the radiator fan and its good. Coolant is new and good and been burped. No leaks. Could it be the fan assembly or maybe the relay? Any help if you can!

tenelen

• View Profile
Re: People 250 overheating need help
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 08:38:30 PM »
Oh and another thing when the key is in the ignition for a long period of time it gets very hot. Not sure if its related but I figured I would throw that out there.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
fan thermostat
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 10:40:39 PM »
When the scoot is hot and you stop, can you hear the radiator fan kick on?.
If not, the "fan" thermostat might be bad.
It is usually a small round brass thingy that screws right into the radiator with a two wire lead coming from it that connects to the cooling fan.
Just a thought.
I have seen this before.

The key simply put in the ignition causing something to get hot sounds like a short and could cause a fire.
I would keep the key out till the problem has been discovered.

Question: Has this motor scooter been modified in any way?.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:00:05 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 05:21:09 PM »
I have a people 250 with about 10,000km on it. When I am stopped after the scooter has been running awhile my temps start to skyrocket, ...

When did the cooling problem start? 

How long is "a while"?  More than 5 minutes?  What is the temp outside when this happens?  Over 80F?

I would not jump to the radiator fan just yet - It is very rare that the fan comes on in my GV250 and I have no cooling issues.  The most I have ever seen is 3/5 bars for the engine temp.  I had the same exact issue you describe - regarding the cooling - on my 1992 bmw k75.  I solved it one day.  The thermostat was clogged with gunk which prevented it from opening all the way.  It cost $40 plus a special order so I cleaned the old one instead of replacing it.  Problem solved.  The result: to get the bike hot enough for the fan to come on it had to be idling 15 to 20 minutes!  Then it cooled down fast and the fan went off in 60 sec or less. 

Regarding the heat - sounds like a possible short - although a real short would blow the fuse instantly.  Check you fuses to see if they have been replaced with higher amp.  I had to do that in a friends motorcycle 15a --> 20a or it would blown on the highway.  Never could figure it out.  Also, same friend, different bike, all the fuses were replaced with 30A anything less would blow instantly!  When the key was turned on the wires would get hot in seconds!  Eventually the stater (charger) went out. 

To do list:

check thermostat & hoses for restriction to the radiator.
Could thermostat be in backwards? or incorreclty?

Check fuses for correct amps.
PaulC

tenelen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 07:21:28 PM »
FYI this is my bosses scoot he lent it to me while mine is in the shop for a engine upgrade.

I changed the oil today and it looks like it hadn't been changed in  forever. This reduced the overheating but it still started overheating at a stop light. It only seems to overheat about 20 mins into a ride and only when idle. This issue started about 2 weeks ago when I picked up the scoot, and lately it's been 90-100 outside but that's nothing new for Houston TX.

Checked fuses, all good.
Fan is working.
Thermostat is ok

I Am going to flush the coolant and restock it this weekend. I will also check the coolant lines. Gauging on the shape the oil was in i Am going to assume this bike isn't maintained as well as it needs to be. I also figured out why the key was getting so hot. There are heat exhaust ducts on the scoot right next to the ignition. As the heat from the radiator is venting the ignition is getting hot thus heating the key.

tenelen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 07:48:19 PM »
Found the culprit in the worst way. I was driving to my downtown office and the water pump line between the pump and radiator line had a huge crack in it and started gushing fluid. The funny part was it wasn't leaking fluid till today.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:26:07 PM »
Found the culprit in the worst way. I was driving to my downtown office and the water pump line between the pump and radiator line had a huge crack in it and started gushing fluid. The funny part was it wasn't leaking fluid till today.

I had a similar problem with my truck. It was loosing water and I could not figure out where.
I was concerned because I wondered if it was my head gasket.
One warm day after driving the truck for awhile, I came home, parked in the driveway.
I walked to the front of the vehicle, got down on my knees, and found where I was loosing fluid.
There was a pin hole in the bottom radiator hose. It would only squirt water when the truck was hot.
Had a heck of a time finding it.
New hose, problem solved.
Happy to hear you found the problem.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

tenelen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 09:13:55 PM »
Here is a pic of the nastyness

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()