Author Topic: would a P-250 do a round the world tour?  (Read 2603 times)

kawzak

• View Profile
would a P-250 do a round the world tour?
« on: August 01, 2009, 10:23:38 PM »
If you were sponsored (money not an issue) do you think you could do a "round the world tour" if the situation was right? do you think your scooter would hold up?

axy

• View Profile
Re: would a P-250 do a round the world tour?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 11:06:58 PM »
If you were sponsored (money not an issue) do you think you could do a "round the world tour" if the situation was right? do you think your scooter would hold up?

Probably yes.

However, I would never drive a scooter on long trips because they are simply too slow and suspension is not good enough, especially with a passenger. I like to drive fast and not having enough power is simply boring - I would rather go by bus, train or car.

I would prefer a sport touring bike for that purpose (think FJR1300 or ZX-1400R).
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

geezerbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 10:57:35 AM »
Made two round trips from SC to MN on mine, with the only problem being a broken drive belt.  On the last one, I drove at a steady 65 mph (GPS), mostly on interstates, with nary a problem other than the belt.  Total load was about 210 lbs. of me and about 80 lbs. of luggage.  Rear shocks were set in the middle position.
People 250
Cortech Sport Saddle and Tail Bags
Kuryakyn Grips
Givi E33 top box
Air Hawk seat cushion
34,000 km and counting

olbull

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 12:24:09 PM »
Like  any  other odyssey.. Carry  a  few  spare  parts,belt, tire  plug & patch kit,spark  plug  and dont  forget the Duct Tape..The  machine  will  hold..Not  so  sure  of  my  Butt will?

OlBull
2007 P250

If  your  not the lead dog the  scenery never  changes

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 09:04:29 PM »
In the past two days my girlfriend and I did a small tour, 600 km round trip.

50 % of that on a 2-3-lane highway.

I am satisfied how People 250 S handled the situation. The consumption on regular roads was 4 l/100 km while on highway 5 l/100 km. The highway speed was between 120 and 145 km/h (downhill :), but usually 130-135 km/h at approx 3/4 of open throttle.

Here is the route:

Day one: we started in the morning from Viskovo (Croatia), drove towards Zagreb and then on highway to Otocac where the highway ended. Around 2pm we arrived to Plitvice lakes where we hiked for 20 kms.  ;D The tour ended around 8 pm when we proceeded 30 kms to Rakovica where we have spent the night.

Day two: in the morning we headed towards Bosnian border and after 40 kms we reached Bihac where we ate amazing burek and cevapcici (local meals similar to meatloaf and minced meat grill). After eating even more amazing ice cream (prices 50 % lower than in Croatia), we returned back towards Croatia, crossed the border and headed towards Lika region where we have visited an old mill, several centuries old. After 80-90 kms of regional roads we have reached the highway and spent the remaining 150 kms at People's high speed.

Two screws that hold the exhaust can shield have fallen off due to vibrations on the highway so I had to replace them with improvized screws the first day, with help of the man who has rented an appartment to us in Rakovica.

I still have a problem with gasket and some oil leak on the right side of the engine, spraying over the rear tire and burning on the newly painted exhaust can. The scooter has now 5000 kms and I have announced the visit to the mechanic today (using Sony Xperia X1, email service and mobile data while on the go, along with the picture taken during one of the stops :) ).

Anyhow, I would suggest to everybody to visit Plitvice lakes ( http://www.np-plitvicka-jezera.hr/eng/index.php ) , unique phenomenon in the world.

I wonder if anybody knows the places/countries I am talking about?

---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 09:37:46 PM »
There were two "blokes " from Scotland who rode Honda NC/50's across Europe, and Asia. In fact I think they are still doing it!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 10:06:03 PM »
There were two "blokes " from Scotland who rode Honda NC/50's across Europe, and Asia. In fact I think they are still doing it!

You will probably not understand the language, but these two guys went from Zagreb to Istanbul and back on Grand Dink 50 cc. :)
I would probably get institutionalized if I did that trip on a 50 cc scooter. :)

http://www.she.hr/default.aspx?id=4367
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

eemichael83

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 02:24:31 AM »

I dont think i'd be going around the world on mine unless they came out with an amphibious version :D
2009 KYMCO People S 250
My Playground: ScootForum.com

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 11:36:48 PM »
You can't drive a Camaro from the Bahamas! It's an ISLAND!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()