Author Topic: Kymco keychain  (Read 6360 times)

kfc.android

• View Profile
Re: Kymco keychain
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2014, 03:14:11 PM »
getting close...

Done!

That's a fantastic design!!! Definitely worth the money.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 03:21:12 PM »
You all have to figure the fellas time involved in this. I would have to guess at least an hour of shaping/sanding/polishing AFTER the piece is cut. That's not including the time to program, and run the piece or the material.

90.00 USD is more than fair IMHO. My buddy that runs the machine shop I use has a contract that bills out 850.00 USD an hour on his mills. To stop that for a one of key fob is quite generous.

Kudos! It's a beautiful piece.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Carol

• Brainerd, Minnesota
  • Look me up on facebook !
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2014, 06:05:39 PM »
 8) About a PeopleS200 .........that would be nice.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to skid in broadside , thoroughly used up , totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!!"

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »
Thank you all for your kind words and Zombie for the explanation! People who haven't seen one being done from beginning to end simply cannot imagine all the work involved. 
Many of us got used to mass produced cheap Chinese stuff. This is nothing like it. I simply put this up here to show it off because I thought and still think it's absolutely amazing work. And if someone is interested I'm more than happy to direct you to my friend. I have no other motivation than just helping a friend. If you want to order one for yourselves I am more than happy to give you the email address of the person who milled mine in a PM, so you can contact him directly. I am no middle man in this story just a happy and proud keychain owner!
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 04:02:13 PM »
The love affair is on. Sharing resources is every bit as important as helping fix this China junk we all defend so strongly.

I personally can't thank you enough for sharing, and hope lots of folks here take up you offer.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2014, 04:28:55 PM »
You all have to figure the fellas time involved in this. I would have to guess at least an hour of shaping/sanding/polishing AFTER the piece is cut. That's not including the time to program, and run the piece or the material.

90.00 USD is more than fair IMHO. My buddy that runs the machine shop I use has a contract that bills out 850.00 USD an hour on his mills. To stop that for a one of key fob is quite generous.

Kudos! It's a beautiful piece.

Well said Zombie!
People have to remember that most of the less expensive, mass produced products out there are usually cast from a mold or stamped out on an industrial press to keep the cost and manufacturing time in check with profitability.
Milling parts out of solid billets is time consuming. Thus, the finished product is not usually cheap.
I've never been lucky enough to mess with one of the modern automated milling machines. I have, however, worked with an old fashioned manual milling machine a couple of times. The pre-historic ones that used a hand crank to run the piece through the mill.
An old friend of mine used to have one in his auto shop, and he let me use it to make a couple of custom parts for an old electric guitar I was hotrodding. The pieces I made were brutally simple compared to what a modern machine can do, but it was still a huge investment of time and work to produce. But to pay a shop to do it for me would have cost more than the guitar was even worth, so I just considered it a labor of love.
With the complex curves and shapes on that custom keychain, I think $90 US is probably the bargain of the century!
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
In High School metal shop I launched a 4 pound block of lead out of a crank mill. Missed everyone in the room but I was rewarded with a b grade, and transfered to Gym class for the rest of the year.

Dodge Ball didn't go any better. They never specified which ball to use. F final grade.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 02:50:14 PM »
Here's what I got yesterday. Paracord and yes it is purple and gold (LSU colors). Cord is 3.5" (89mm). If anyone is interested in this sort of keychain, my guess is you could get them shipped to your door in your one/two favorite colors. I'd let the guy know who made mine and we could figure out a way to make the transaction (probably through ebay).

Wayne

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2014, 07:47:33 PM »
I have a buddy here in town that makes all sorts of things w/ that cord. He wraps knife handles, and walking sticks. Makes those key fobs like you show... Al sorts of things.

He wrapped a boat steering wheel for me, and now lots of local boaters are calling him. Cool stuff!

You could even wrap your grips to match the fob!

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2014, 11:23:41 PM »
Don't get me wrong folks. It's not that I think it's to expensive, which it isn't for the amount of work and the quality, its just that I'm a broke kinda guy right now! $2 is a bit to rich for me right now. Bummer to, I would love to have one of those with People GT300i on it.
   I know this stuff takes a great deal of time. I had some things done for me on a water jet and it came out fantastic. The guy had to program the whole project to the enth degree to make sure it was correct.
   If things pick up soon I may order myself one of those. I love that polished brass. Very nice!

Ride safe folks, mscmkr

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 05:11:13 AM »
Maybe you can Barter something. I'll fix a boat for all sorts of things... (use your imagination)

I installed a Vacu Flush head system for a fella that designed a web site for a fella that gave me use of his boat for the July 4th week. 9 hours of my labor turned into one guy getting his business on line, and me getting a free boat for a week. Plus the original fella can now flush his (     ) w/ no problems. It's never about the $$$.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()