Author Topic: Gas Gauge?  (Read 1681 times)

McG

• View Profile
Gas Gauge?
« on: August 24, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »
Hi all!  I've been riding my scoot for a few weeks and finally decided to put some gas in it.  The gas gauge showed I was practically empty, so I pulled in to fill it up.  It only ended up taking about .6 gallons, so I was doing pretty well (btw, I got 65 miles on that .6 gallons)

That being said, I'm wondering how accurate the gas gauge is on the Like.  I've read articles in the past about scooter gas gauges not being particularly accurate.  Any thoughts?

McG

tclhb

• View Profile
Re: Gas Gauge?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 06:23:26 PM »
When I'm below the lowest line (less than 1/6 of a tank), I will take 1.2 gallons ish.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:42:20 PM by tclhb »
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »
That puts me up to the fill bar. That's the cross member that blocks me from fully inserting the nozzle. Btw, here's a tip. If you're area has the vapor recovery nozzles, just pull the nozzle back with your other hand and that will fool the pump into thinking its fully inserted.

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »
When my gas gauge shows half a tank left, it takes 1 gallon to fill it up.  I have ridden till the needle was on the last mark, basically it was empty.  I filled it up and it took 1.708 gallons to fill it up!!  I'm positive the tank is 1.8 gallons.  My gas gauge is pretty accurate and on average I have to fill it up every 2 days.   
2012 Like 200i  in black

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »
Wow! There's quite a difference there. I wonder if its a 2012 2013 thing?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 02:20:00 AM »
When it's near the 2nd to last line I go hunting a BP station and, with a mini flash light held a good distance away!!, fill with 93 to that bar down there. Almost never put in more than 1.1 gal. Every 2 or 3 days - getting about 80mpg. I keep a pen and paper and flash light under the seat (with enough tools to build an F-1 car)(WHY am I still doing that?! Soon I will figure out this thing isn't going to crap out on me!**) (always fill at night, when station closed , only glow is from the pump) to record my figures and get the receipt from the pump. Gives me something useful to do the next time I'm in the can -figuring my mileage.

* What?, I'm going to adjust the valves on the side of the road? OK, maybe I do need the tools for adjusting these long-necked Italian mirrors, and a dozen or so misc. tools for tightening things that are flying off due to my 35mph speeds@....and some rain gear, bungees, airpressure gauges, alarmed lock w/remote, visor wax, ball cap so we don't scare the folks at the donut shop, blue painter's tape for various reasons (2 rolls), strike anywhere matches(?), paper towels. That's all, unless I'm expecting trouble. Shoot, I could get 95mpg if I'd learn to trust this scooter!

@"Things flying off " is a total exageration....I keep trying to find something coming loose. No luck yet.
Other than the time I accidentally turned off the kill switch when drying it after riding home in a Ohio/summer thunder-downpour. The next morning it tried manfully to start, but wouldn't. Then I saw the kill switch was off. Geez what a dope. Anyway, this scooter has performed flawlessly. Perfectly happy rider/owner.

The gas gauge ? I guess it's as accurate as that goofy clock that's been (exactly) 7 mins fast since I bought it. (yes, I did try to set it - then figured Kymco knew best)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:21:52 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 12:06:13 PM »
My gauge seems to be pretty accurate.  It gets down there to the last 2 or 3 lines and it takes 1.3 - 1.4 gallons.  There is no reserve so I don't push it.   The mileage varies a lot depending on my speed.  If I take it real easy it gets close to 100 mpg but usually highway driving is wide open so it get 55 - 65 mpg.  I love the clock but I'm not certain how to set it either.  I set mine at the dealer when I was just checking out the Like for possible purchase and haven't touched it since.  I thought it was pretty straight forward.  It's a fun bike for below 50 MPH.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 07:26:35 PM »
I find my gas gauge on the 2012 Like is fairly accurate. What I have discovered is that when I stop filling at the fill line at the base of the neck is that a little shaking will release trapped air pockets and the level will drop to where I can add another 1/10th to 2/10th of a gallon more fuel to the tank. I'm averaging just over 80 mpg when I ride at speeds below 45 mph. Above that and it drops to as low as 74 mpg.

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »
I find my gas gauge on the 2012 Like is fairly accurate. What I have discovered is that when I stop filling at the fill line at the base of the neck is that a little shaking will release trapped air pockets and the level will drop to where I can add another 1/10th to 2/10th of a gallon more fuel to the tank. I'm averaging just over 80 mpg when I ride at speeds below 45 mph. Above that and it drops to as low as 74 mpg.

I did this for a couple of months but just recently, if I do this then after I ride home and park it, it leaks fuel out of the air intake.  So now, once it gets to the bar I stop the pump and don't top it off unless I know I am going to be riding a pretty long way when I leave the gas station. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()