Author Topic: My scooter Agility 50 does not start  (Read 4021 times)

Aquaviva

• View Profile
My scooter Agility 50 does not start
« on: August 25, 2013, 03:40:26 PM »

Sorry for my English.

First my scooter suddenly switches off  wile running, I mean the engine suddenly stops. Then I have to park on the road shoulder, turn the key to the off position and then put it back to the start. Then it used to start again. Now the problem is at giving start. It does not start, it makes a sound like the engine fails to start ( maybe this is not the right word, the engine skids, slides, but does not really gear or engage with the starter ignitor or whatever is its name. Excuse me again. I test the battery and  it is working because the lights are ok, and  I can honk. Otherwise the scooter after some attempts start with the crank.

Please help me. Don't hesitate to ask for further explanation if this is not clear.

Thanks a lot for some insight into this problem,

Aquaviva

blue

• View Profile
Re: My scooter Agility 50 does not start
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:40:58 PM »
make sure the battery is charged good. and check for lose wires. also check the coil going in to the plug is ok.

Aquaviva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 08:27:10 AM »
Thank you so much !!! Your answer arrives in good time when I have a heck of activity. I will check as you say. Maybe the solution is there. Thank you very much indeed !! I will report on it on my findings.

Aquaviva

Aquaviva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:33:42 AM »

I just came back from my garge a little frustrated. Unfortunately I  dont have means to measure the load in the battery. However the light seem to have the normal beam and honks sounds like usual. Before afetr everything failed I used to give crank 3, 4 times but now the crank does not ignate the engine. I cleaned the spark and tested in the way to have the wired spark in my hand while trying to start normally and I found there is not any spark in the spark contacts either. So there is power in the battery, the problem  is  that I don't know if has enough charge  to start the engine normally. I have an old battery charger for 12 volts car batteries and I tried to charge the scooter battery with that charger but I noticed that as soon as I connected the charger to the wall the charger amperimeter went down to zero, so  to  avoid a bigger problem I disconnected immediately the  procedure. The fuses are ok, I cleaned the wire contacts on every visible wire. My feeling is that there is power in the battery but is not reaching the spark plug. Any other approach ?

Thank you in any case for your interest to help.

Aquaviva

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 03:22:48 AM »
try a new plug. and also pull the end of the plug wire of wear it gos in to the plug conecter and cut like 1/4 inch off to get fresh wire and put back on and try that.

Aquaviva

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:30:13 AM »

I just tested the spark plug and it sparks well. I don't have a clue how to go after here, perhaps from to the easiest to the more difficult steps that I can do by myself.

Thanks BLUE for the tip. I found that as the spark plug is sparkling, meaning it gets power from the battery, the next step in the electrical area would be.....??

Greetings,

Aquaviva

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 03:12:05 PM »
I would conclude that maybe you have a starter problem since the sparkplug sparks out of the engine. Your car battery charger goes to near zero because your battery is completely charged. Starter may spin but not fast enough tostart engine. I suspect (guess) your starter is not engaging. Remove the drive belt cover and inspect the starter is engaging the gear on the engine. Post back here with what you find.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Aquaviva

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »

Thank you Karl for your insight. I will do what you say. This I guess would take a couple of days because first I have to get acquainted with the drive belt and the place where it is located in the scooter. Maybe I can have an answer earlier.

Greetings,

Aquaviva

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 08:02:59 PM »
If it starts ok with the kick starter, then the culprit is almost certainly the starter motor or starter bendix. If you can't kick start it you may still have a starter issue but there's also something else going on.

The drive cover is the casing your kick lever is mounted to, held by half a dozen bolts. With it removed you have access to variator, belt, rear pulley/clutch assembly and the starter bendix. Belt wear deposits dust all over the inside of this compartment. It's quite possible your starter bendix is gummed up with it and not engaging properly any more. The kick start components are also likely in need of cleaning and lubrication. Clean and lubricate both means of starting the scoot, it's always a good idea to clean and lube the kickstart every time you have the cover off, because it sits there unused for months collecting gunk. If the electric start fails to turn the engine or turns it too slowly to start after that (try and crank it with the scoot on its center stand and the cover off. You'll be able to see) your starter motor is either failing or not getting enough voltage to operate properly.

When putting the cover back on, be careful that the rubber gasket is properly positioned.

Aquaviva

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 06:03:07 AM »
Thanks a lot Scootercommuter !!.  I am taking careful note of your detailed advise. Hopefully I might be able to go through the inspection of the parts involved. Should I have a doubt is it possible I post here some pics on the issues I find ?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:03:42 AM by Aquaviva »

Aquaviva

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 11:23:35 AM »
Before removing the casing to check the belt, I just went to the gas station and bought a new sparkplug just to give it a try. But it did not succeed. Can you guys tell me if it is possible to drop some gas in the chamber where the sparkplug is located to see if it starts ? How much gas can I drop without dying in the attempt ?

Thanks again

Aquaviva

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 03:14:44 PM »
Now I have  removed the case to check the belt and it is in its position. I am going to make some pics of what I found. There  this black dust that I will clean off. I was moving everything. Hope this  not going to create a huge problem if the pieces have to be in certain position  for the motor to ignate, I am mostly speaking of the set of pieces on the right side, when the crank is in the left side in my Kymco Agility.

The pinions engage properly when I gave start. It seems to me from the visual evaluations there are not parts broken or dammaged neither the belt is displaced. Hope the pics will be useful. If  you need  more I can make if  am told what exactly you want to see.

Thank once more,

SORRY: I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO POST THE PICS FOR THE LAST HOUR. THOUGH THE PROPERTIES OF EACH PIC IS SHOWING 55.8 KB, THE SYSTEM IS REJECTING THE POSTING BECAUSE I HAVE MORE THAN 192 KB !!!! CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME  WITH THIS ?

Wooogly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 01:27:27 AM »
The exact same thing happened with mine. After I got it put on a recovery van and driven 2 hours home, I replaced the battery (didn't need to do this in the end), replaced the spark plug and cleaned out the carb (the latter is the one that fixed it) and it started again.

Aquaviva

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 05:58:04 AM »

I am going to re-assambly the drive cover this morning. Can somebody please tell me of some special precaution I should keep in mind when doing this. Does the cran has to have a exact position or can I fix it "more or less" where it was before opening the case. Unfortunately I did not make any mark to put it back again in the same position.

Thanks for your help...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 01:28:43 PM »
make sure you have the little washer in the cover for the starter bendix in there.
and the starter works best if you have the gaskit around the cover. I tryed mine with out and it grounded of and scoot would not start if ya dont have it anymore just use rubber washer of some typ. good luck.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()