Author Topic: Going to buy my first scooter!  (Read 2485 times)

fangirl

• 2013 Kymco Like 200i LX
    • View Profile
Going to buy my first scooter!
« on: August 28, 2013, 08:08:46 PM »
I have never had a scooter, but I have admired them for years.  I only live 10 miles from work and I can take surface streets without any problem, so... a scooter is going to be my present to myself.  I just signed up for the Motorcycle Safety Course.  They said that if I have a scooter that I can use it for the training class.

I have been looking at scooters for a long time, and I am pretty sure that I want to get a Kymco Like 200i LX.  I am 5' 11" and weigh about 150 pounds.  According to the specs, I understand that it is a 163cc engine that is liquid cooled and that it has both front and rear disc brakes.  I'd appreciate any insights or suggestions from you experienced scooter folks.  Does this scoot sound like a good fit for me?
2013 Kymco Like 200i LX - Newbie

Momma bear

• View Profile
Re: Going to buy my first scooter!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 08:15:21 PM »
Congrats!!!!!

The safety course is well worth the money.  200LX beautiful! Just get good boots and an armored jacket. Picked mine up on Craigslist worn twice for half the price. Good luck!
People300i

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »
The Like is air cooled not liquid cooled. Be sure to sit on the scooter first for fit before deciding its the scooter for you. The Like has known issues with those having an inseam longer than 31 inches. Your knees could hit the leg shield or steering head. Check by turning the handlebars while seated. Another known issue is that the seat has a hard plastic ridge dividing the driver's seat and pillion (passenger seat). This hard ridge for some riders becomes very uncomfortable at some point in the ride. Some have rebuilt their seat for a more comfortable ride. I am 5'9" and 210 pounds with a 31" inseam. As such the Like fits me fine. I don't have an issue with my knees hitting the leg shield or steering head or the hard ridge built into the seat. I have had my Like going on 14 months with nearly 5,000 miles. The only real issue I had was that one of the air cleaner bolts came loose and needed replacement. To prevent the problem from recurring I used blue loctite when replacing the bolt.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:53:40 PM »
Welcome aboard.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:04:52 PM »
Welcome to the group! I have the 200i LX and love it. I have 2700 miles and no issues at all. I am 200lbs 5' 10'' and the seat -handlebar positions work for me but I did check this out at the dealer before purchase. A great choice. ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 12:19:45 AM »
Oh boy, are you a lucky person!
Getting a new scoot and you're not 6'5" and 280lbs!
At @$2600 the Kymco LIKE 200i is a real bargain (have seen the orig. price yrs ago at $3400).
Sit on the seat for 20mins and read a brochure or have a cheesburger. See what you think of the knees situation vs. the leg shield and turning the bars. Put the 2 tires on the ground see what you think of the weight, by leaning it a little bit. Do you want to deal with that weight, and seat and knees?
How is the dealer? Your relationship with the dealer is almost as important as the scooter you choose.
What do they charge for the 600 miles service? That's a biggee, even according to the LIKE manual.

IMHO: best features are:  KYMCO reputation for quality; price; the fuel injection (instant starts in all weather and smooth idle); dual disc brakes; dual rear shocks; prices and avail. of spare parts; retro scooter appearance.

What else would I look at ?
Honda Metropolitan 50cc (@$2000), darn things are truly bullet proof
Yamaha Vino 125cc ($2900)
Genuine Buddy 125cc ($2800)
Or one of the big wheeled scooters from Kymco or SYM but are sig. more $

Good luck and welcome to scootering!
Good choice to take the class!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 02:11:34 AM »
I'm 6'1", 210 lbs with a 35" inseam. I have no problem with the seat at all, but I sit on the rear half. I find that to be a very comfortable position.
If I were looking at scooters, I'd stick with Kymco, Genuine, Honda, and Sym myself. Don't cheap out and get a Chineese scoot if you are using it to get to work. It will leave you stranded broke down by the side of the road sooner or later. I heard that from an honest dealer that sells Puma and other Chineese scooters.
I have over 2800 miles on my 2013 Like, and no problems. It's a good choice if you are staying at or under 50 or 55mph. I can do as fast as 60 sometimes, but only if conditions are just right. If you think you are going to want to do any freeway, go bigger. I have my eye on the Downtown 300i. Good luck whatever you decide.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 02:22:06 AM »
Welcome aboard! I have a Super 8 and my next purchase might be the Like... need I say more?  ;)

fangirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 06:37:06 PM »
Thank-you for all of the great replies.  I had read that the leg room could be an issue, so I will definitely give it a complete check.  At 6'6", I know that my husband wouldn't fit on it, but if he gets a scooter, it will be one with a bigger engine.  I do not plan on riding on freeways.  I think that 50mpg will do me fine.  I looked around, and the yep, it is indeed air-cooled.  One site had it listed as liquid-cooled, so that was the source of my error.

My next step (prior to the scoot purchase itself) is buying a ramp so that we can load it into my husband's F150.  I am also looking at protective gear.  From what I see, jackets and gloves seem to be less expensive if I order them online.  Any tips on protective clothing?  I'm in Tennessee, so it can be pretty hot and humid in the summer, and cool/cold in the winter.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 06:59:22 PM »
I've had good luck with motorcyclegear.com  They have good write ups that give honest opinions on what they sell. They will give tips on sizing, and tendencies to run small, baggy fit, etc. that so far are accurate. They have blow out specials on products so sign up on their email list. It's only maybe two or so emails a week. I always open and look at those as I don't want to miss any specials.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 07:01:47 PM by tclhb »

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 07:01:12 PM »
One jacket I bought from them had a special a day or two after I received it by mail. I emailed them not really expecting them to give me the advertised deal, but they did! Good company to do business with.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 08:27:41 PM »
Here is my recommendation for scooter riding gear - this is based on the numerous times I've watched people in cars detect me on my scooter. They still can act stupid - but the number one  rule is they must see you! And they do when I wear this!

Wear a bright yellow day-glo armored mesh motorcycle jacket every single time you get on your scooter.

Hot in Tenn.? Not any hotter than the muggy heat here in central Ohio! The mesh will allow lots of airflow -
Sure, it will still be warm to wear - so, I guess you could put on shorts, flip-flops and a sleaveless T - but Lord how you might regret it!
Gloves and full face helmet (flip-up full face are handy) - and good shoes.

Heck you could be naked - but if you have on that day-glo yellow armored jacket you just might not need all the other stuff! (maybe a tea towel to sit on!)

It is before sun-up in this picture - and my day-glo jacket is still easy to see! Wearing a flip-up full face helmet.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:51:48 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 08:44:21 PM »
Yes, mesh keeps you so much cooler. I own two mesh riding jackets. I have a tip on these. The zip out liners are a real hassle to put in. With the zippers and fasteners it takes several minutes to install and have everything fastened. Just buy a thin windbreaker that has at least a little bit of lining to it. If its getting a little too cool out while you're riding around, just put your windbreaker on and your mesh jacket over that. It's much easier, and I've found a little warmer than the lining that comes with those jackets.

fangirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
Going to buy my scoot today!!!   ;)  No license yet, so they will deliver it for me.  I live near a dealership.

I ordered a Cortech Women's LRX 3 Motorcycle Jacket from BikerBandit.com.  I read the reviews on all of the other sites, and then found it on clearance at this site.  I also ordered some motorcycle gloves to protect my hands.  I may end up running out to the hardware store for a reflective vest that I can wear over my jacket to make me more visible.  I did purposely choose a jacket that was not completely black and had reflective piping.  Oh.. and they through in a free motorcycle cover with my order and free shipping.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »
Take a riding course. Have fun!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()