Author Topic: Engine shuts off  (Read 1063 times)

soldout

• View Profile
Engine shuts off
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:22:55 AM »
This has happened twice now stranding me both times and having to push the bike home.  During the push home it will start and run for maybe 15 - 20 seconds then shut off again.  It sat over night and started right up again.   I took it out around the neighborhood and after about 2 minutes it shut off again.  I have the seat and bucket out right now.  I pulled the line off the filter and tried starting it, gas shot out so I know its getting fuel.  I have the guides to troubleshot but i wanted to reach out here first and see if anyone can help out.
12' Burgman 400 - Throttle Lock, Best Back Rest, Passenger Backrest, Ram Ball Mount
09' Agility 125 - Puig Touring Windscreen, Shad 29 , 12V Underseat, Taplights, Ram Ball Mount, City Grips
09' Metropolitan - 12v, Ram Ball Mount

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Engine shuts off
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:33:33 AM »
When the engine shuts off . . test for spark.

soldout

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 02:44:39 AM »
I tested with a new spark plug and there is no spark.
12' Burgman 400 - Throttle Lock, Best Back Rest, Passenger Backrest, Ram Ball Mount
09' Agility 125 - Puig Touring Windscreen, Shad 29 , 12V Underseat, Taplights, Ram Ball Mount, City Grips

soldout

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:48:19 AM »
Thanks for trying to help but I fixed it.  I dont really know what the problem was.  I stripped the back half of the body panels off and grounded out the spark plug on the valve cover and it had no spark.  I then made sure all the connections were tight back there and also did the same to the CDI next to the battery.  After finding nothing I tried to start the bike and it fired right up.  I was unsure at first so I let it sit there for about 5 minutes just running.  I then shut it off and put the bike back together for a road test.  I took it out for about 20 minutes around the neighborhood over some bumps and potholes and the bike was fine.  Which leads me to my next concern, Im kind of scared to ride this far places now since I dont really know what is wrong with the bike and it could happen at any moment.  Ill ride this bike 2hrs form home some times for work or for fun but not if it will shut down on the side of the road and leave me stranded forcing me to be rescued or attempt a road side repair.  In the 6 months that Ive owned the bike nothing really has broken so to say but I have had some issues.  One day I put the bike together and must have crushed a vac line under the bucket between the frame rail and at high speed the engine would choke out and I would lose throttle for a moment, my fault but very scary when it happens on the highway.  At around 7000kms I went to remove the spark plug to do a visual check and valve adjustment and the plug was stuck in side the engine.  When I removed it it stripped out about half of the threads, I feel like it was partially my fault for riding it so hard and so long on the highway, again my fault.  Look back on one of my other threads I had to have the gas tank repaired because it was leaking.  The 2nd day of owning the scooter the muffler tail cap fall off when riding, I replaced it at a cost of around $35 ouch!  On the hottest day of the summer I was out on a call for work and headed home 1.5hrs from home and at the time I didnt know it since i was so tired and hot from the heat, the spark plug wire fell right off the spark plug.  I had to be rescued by my father with a trailer and straps.  Luckily I broke down right in front of a diner and across the street from a Porsche dealer.  It then happened 2 more times after that riding around the neighborhood.  Not a big deal, pull over get on the ground and burn your hand a few times and plug it back in.  I got tired of doing that so I now have a metal wire tied around the engine keeping the spark plug wire on the spark plug.  The charcoal chamber for fuels evap system keeps plugging up the little plastic piece that joins the 2 hoses together.  Its got a tiny brass insert with a tiny pinhole opening in it.  When that gets clogged the bike wont run or it will shut off.  It happened right in front of me.  The bolt the secures the rear fender to the muffler vibrated off its now held on with a zip tie.  The front end has a bad wobble sometimes.  1 time as i was getting off the highway i came to the stoplight and the bike just shuts off for no reason, i get it to fire right back up with no problem and has never happened since.  And now this.  Sorry for the rant.  Im done now.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:50:51 AM by soldout »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()