Author Topic: LIKE oil change w/spec instr. for Californians  (Read 3077 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
LIKE oil change w/spec instr. for Californians
« on: August 30, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
Changed the oil in my LIKE 200i again last eve. (2459 miles. According to my log in the manual back pages, this is my 6th oil change. Yeah, I know...)
You know, you can see the oil in the neck of the dip stick hole with a flash light. It is just below the threads when on the center stand.
I carefully measured what came out - checked again the manual for how much to add at an oil change (vs how much oil the engine holds, total - which are not the same amounts)

OIL Change : .800L
Engine Capacity : .900L

Had right at .800L drain out. OK, good.
So, put in .800L of AMSOIL Scooter Synthetic

Drained it at the larger plug which has the screen and spring, cleaned these parts, put new oil on the rubber gasket and threaded it all back in. Then pulled the other drain plug  and out came a bit more oil. Not much, but worth getting it out.
I play with the oil bottles to get just .800L left in one - that is the one I use to add the oil after draining old oil. (prevents accidentally adding too much oil)
BTW: nothing in the screen, and I do have some blue gloves like this - but saving them for something messy. (like BBQ'd ribs)
The drain plug with the screen and spring is on the passenger side, under the exhaust, facing down. The other plug is on the driver's side, facing at you. ( Spec. instructions for you Californians : if your scooter is on highway 1, facing North, this plug is facing the Pacific ocean. 8)) Both are 17mm.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:04:18 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tclhb

• View Profile
Re: LIKE oil change w/spec instr. for Californians
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:06:16 PM »
I'm fortunate enough to live a half mile from Pacific Coast Hwy. it's a pretty cool ride!
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

ChefRupe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:37:17 PM »
Why the Californian jab. I live about 20 minutes from PCH and just so you know, it is an amazing ride! I also get to cruise through giant redwoods and rolling hills covered in grape vineyards. No where is prettier than right here.

And I know my left from my right, I think. ;)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 04:57:44 AM »
Thanks Stig for the point of reference. I'll check it out this weekend when I'm at the coast. Smart-ass country bumpkin.  ;)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »
Thanks Stig for the point of reference. I'll check it out this weekend when I'm at the coast. Smart-ass country bumpkin.  ;)

I'll trade you Californians something: How 'bout a ride on my cow for one run down the PCH ?!
Man, I hitched up and down that road when I was 18 and it left a bag full of great memories!....and I was walking! with my guitar and backpack.
Can't imagine how nice it would be to get up early and take a run on it with my scooter!
Of course I'm poking fun at you lucky ............people. (thought I was going to say something else, didn't you!?)
Keep the rubber side down out there. (nylon for you guys still on Kendas)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 08:37:24 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ChefRupe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:52:24 PM »
I spent a few weeks in Cincinnati this summer. I cooked at the restaurants Local 127 and Vie Vite. Ohio is not my favorite place but I had a little fun there.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 05:57:24 AM »
I spent a few weeks in Cincinnati this summer. I cooked at the restaurants Local 127 and Vie Vite. Ohio is not my favorite place but I had a little fun there.

I've seen some of the shows on the food channel where they put chefs through the ringer, but to have to go to Ohio to cook, well that's just cruel.  :P

ChefRupe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 08:05:20 AM »
I've seen some of the shows on the food channel where they put chefs through the ringer, but to have to go to Ohio to cook, well that's just cruel.  :P
One thing going for Ohio is everyone is really nice. And they don't do everything at a million miles an hour like California. That part was nice.

But you are correct, cooking there was really challenging. For example, "Cincinnati chili" I'm going to have nightmare for the rest of my life about that crap... Seriously...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 06:11:55 PM »
OK, this is WAY off the topic - sort of- but we do appreciate good music here in the wilds of Ohio.
For the past 2 days I've been attending the Gentlemen Of The Road festival put on by the British Folk/Rock group, Mumford & Sons in the tiny farm town of Troy, Ohio.

We put a packed house in a small town high school stadium - and had a ball!

For 48 hrs my wife, 13 yr old daughter and I were shoulder to shoulder with maybe 36,000 of the friendliest people you could imagine. Part of that is 'midwesterners' , and part is that this is the type of folk attracted by these guys from England. 10,000+ were camping next to the stadium, along the river - looked like every school bus in Ohio moving us from the grass airstrip parking lot to downtown. Had trailers with showers in them!
Sure, it wasn't Coachella, Bonnaroo or Glastonbury - but it was fun for us bumpkins!
People came from 48 States and 6 countries to attend this festival....we were all on foot so didn't see a single scooter!

(re. California - married a girl from California- we got our license at the LA county court house. I spent the summer of love - 1967 - in your state - playing my Martin at the warf in 'Frisco and on Knob Hill. Big Sur was stunning.....)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 08:45:42 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 10:28:41 PM »
Cool photos! I've been through Big Sur on my CBR back in the day. A few times. That's one of the nicest rides I've ever been on. Really beautiful!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: LIKE oil change, Californians & Big Sur
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 02:56:38 AM »
One of my fondest memories of the Big Sur - when I was walking/thumbing through that area - was finding a small stream with a big bar of brown soap by a little pool deep in the trees. Let me tell you, after starting on the beaches of Mexico, bathing in the ocean for a couple of weeks, your hair is like bubble gum, your eye brows and body hair is snow white from the salt and...you've got one doozy of a rash starting in The Netherlands. That fresh water pool and soap were life savers!
One foggy morning I broke camp before dawn and walked up the beach until I climbed up a little area and found myself on the prettiest lawn grass I'd ever seen. Then I came to a sand bunker. Finally figured out I was on the Pebble Beach golf course!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 05:43:00 AM »
Wow Stig, you're an adventurer! I'm too much into creature comforts to do something like that.

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »
I've driven down the PCH once and had a BLAST.  But, I must admit that I was one of those annoying and dangerous vacationers that blast down the PCH at full throttle every chance they get.  Luckily the road started to straighten out the closer I got to San Louisibisbo as my brakes were starting to fade!  I did pass a cop during this run and for a moment thought about slowing down but quickly decided that if he could catch me then I deserved a ticket.  He never caught me. 

Beautiful drive though and would love to go back and do it again at sane speeds to sight see.
2012 Like 200i  in black

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()