Author Topic: Washington DC service?  (Read 1388 times)

spooker

• View Profile
Washington DC service?
« on: September 19, 2010, 12:20:29 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good Kymco servicer in the Washington, DC area?  I'm willing to drive up to 100 miles, so Baltimore or Richmond can also count.  Thanks!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Washington DC service?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
...wow..what you need done??...

..maybe we can walk you through the processes, and save you some hassle...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 01:08:32 AM »
D.C. is a tough area for Kymco dealers - I know I live there!  You might find one of the shops that will work on Kymcos - but they liekly don't carry Kymco parts so if anything requires OEM parts it can take weeks.

The place I bought my Agility from went under about a year later and the other place I used for parts stopped carrying Kymco stuff shortly after.  

As for service centers, I haven't used any so I can't really tell you.  I just order any Kymco parts I need from Stadium Yamaha and do it myself.  From what I've heard, the service places are really expensive and take a very long time to get the job done.

I would take Word's advice and post what the issue is and let the forum members help you through it.  You'll be amazed at how much you can do with some expert advice, a little encouragement, and a good youtube video demonstration.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 01:15:57 AM by oswaldters »

spooker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 03:45:53 AM »
I've been working on the problem over in the other section:

http://kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=2703.0

The current best theory seems to be a faulty vacuum tube, but god only knows.  It's certainly not an oil change or a spark plug change, or even a valve check, so I think I need professional help on this one.

I've researched every Kymco dealer in the DC area, and they all seem to have bad reputations.  I know of 2 respectable independent shops, but I want to go to a Kymco dealer since it may be covered by the warranty.  Am I correct in thinking that only an authorized dealer can do warranty work?

Oswaldters, check your PMs :)

stiffi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 02:55:56 AM »
Motostrada in Cockeysville, MD. Authorized Kymco dealer and Great guys. Just got my bike back from them today! While they certainly cater to people who bought there bikes from them, they work on just about anything. I took my Yamaha Vino there before I bought my People.

Should be well short of 100 miles from anywhere in DC.

I live nearby and recently rode to the Greenbelt Metro station on my 125cc. A straight shot down route 1 and I was there in under 1 hour.

spooker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 03:33:02 AM »
Thanks Stiffi!  It looks like they're only 60 miles from me, which is quite doable!  I'll be consulting with them soon.  Their website says they charge $15 more per hour for bikes that weren't bought at the store.  That sounds like a good policy, all things considered.  It's better than the shop being prejudiced against your bike, putting it at the end of a 3 week line, or just refusing to service it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:35:50 AM by spooker »

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 06:05:08 AM »
$15 per hour more not prejudiced?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »
$15 per hour more not prejudiced?

Yeah, that's punishment instead of predjudice I guess. 

These places do have a history of servicing scooters they sold before others. 

Don't know that paying $15 more will change that though...

spooker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 04:35:01 PM »
Emphasis on the "all things considered," IE, considering the perspective of the shop...

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 10:39:36 PM »
I understand your point.

It's just a shame that you have to pay more to get service because you didn't purchase the scoot there.  Just goes to show you what happens when there aren't enough options to chose from.

stiffi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 12:03:45 AM »
Understand the point, but having been to Motostrada a lot recently, I can tell you they are pretty fair.

I used to take two separate bikes I bought used, there for service. Both were done within a very reasonable time, I thought. The shop even gave me a ton of advice on purchasing the second used scooter, even though it wasn't from them.

Now, having a bike bought there, it's being worked, on, but I don't think it's been any faster.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()